Friday, December 5, 2014

Justin Meldel-Johnsen Talks Paramore's Grammy Nomination for "Ain't It Fun"


In his latest blog post, Justin Mendel-Johnsen of Beck, who also produced Paramore's self-titled album, talked about the joy of "Ain't It Fun" being nominated for 'Best Rock Song' at the Grammys:

Well, that was pretty cool. Woke up this morning to some mysterious, congratulatory texts. As I cleared my head, I quickly realized it was about Paramore.   The song “Ain’t It Fun” was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Song.    For lack of a better descriptive, I guess “Rock” was the appropriate category.  That’s always a little awkward…I mean, it’s not exactly R&B, is it?   It’s lots of things.  Anyway, I’m pretty stoked. Particularly stoked for the band, because this album on which “Ain’t It Fun” resides was a total vindication for them.    They put in an astounding amount of hard work…starting about three years ago when their first ideas germinated.   From my vantage, they transformed themselves, renewed themselves, and then completely shattered everyone’s expectations.   As far as “Ain’t It Fun”, everything from the initial creation of the song by the band, right on through the production of it from my end, were done out of pure instinct and love.     It wasn’t cynical, it wasn’t contrived.   It was just simply real…for everyone.  So that’s quite a nice recognition for some hard work, I must say. 

Next, Beck got some love for the song “Blue Moon”, nominated in the SAME category.  This is ironic because I performed on that one, and produced the Paramore track.   So, where do my allegiances lie?   Frankly, the Paramore track would be the clear winner for me personally.  I hate contests, but that’s where I lean.   Partly because Beck also got another quite significant nomination:   Album Of The Year. 


___________________

I honestly can't thank Justin enough for making this album the best that it was. Without him encouraging Paramore, who knows where they'd be now. So, thank you a million times, Justin!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

CHARLIE'S ANGELS: Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska Set to Star in Elizabeth Banks' Reboot

Photo credits: Getty Images; Courtesy of UTA; Getty Images Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska, Kristen Stewart The time has come! Many news ...